Raising Awareness: Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal cancer (CRC), or more commonly known as colon cancer, is the third most common cancer that affects the people of the United States and the second leading cause of death for both men and women with cancer. This type of disease occurs when a tumor develops in the digestive tract. There are many health care service in New Jersey that can offer assistance to patients that are currently diagnosed with this disease.
In the month of March, ExPO Signature Home Care, a home care provider in Manalapan, New Jersey, will raise awareness regarding colorectal cancer.
The signs and symptoms of colon cancer usually depend on where the tumor is located in the bowel and whether if it has spread to other places in the body. But these are the classic warning signs that you should look out for:
- A change in your bowel habits
- Bleeding in the rectal region or blood in your stool
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- Feeling of fatigue or weakness
- Persistent discomfort in the abdominal region
In many cases, the cause of colon cancer is not clear. But, there are certain risk factors associated with developing colon cancer. These risk factors are:
- Old age (a majority of the people diagnosed with colon cancer are older than 50)
- Family history of colon cancer
- A diet that heavily includes red and processed meat
- A lifestyle without regular exercise
There are various treatments for colon cancer depending on multiple factors, such as the size, location, and stage of cancer. The most common option that many people undergo is surgery to remove the malignant tumor and any nearby lymph nodes, this is done in order to reduce the risk of it spreading.
Getting screened regularly can help prevent colon cancer. If you’ve recently been diagnosed, getting a caregiver from a provider of In Home Care in New Jersey can really make things easier on you and your family members.